Saturday, March 12, 2011

Diary Entry #3

FOOD!



As I was cleaning out my fridge and stocking it with Paleo food, I was reminded of a conversation my husband and I had a while back.  My husband has no problem eating Paleo, because food for him is simply "fuel" that he needs to perform tasks.  He doesn't really have many favorite foods.  Most everything tastes fine to him.  He just eats to get energy.  I, on the other hand, LOVE food!  I eat because I enjoy it.  My mouth craves and my tastebuds delight in the wonders of food.  There are so many amazing foods out there, its hard for me to limit myself on a "diet".  I especially love variety.  When a menu is put before me, I struggle to pick just one thing.  I want a little of everything.  I have noticed with Paleo, my options are narrowed tremendously.  This is something that does not make me very happy!

My husband and I brought this conversation up one day at CrossFit.  As people joined the conversation, we noticed that most (not all) CrossFit males fit my husbands description of eating food, and most females (CrossFit women or wives of CrossFit men) fit more of my description.  Now, I don't begin to believe that ALL males are built one way and women another, but this did intrigue me.

Why would women's desire and tastes for food be so much stronger than men's?  Is there science behind it?  Or simply some weird flaw with the group of people we hang out with?  Obviously God gave us tastebuds for a reason.  And the fact that each food tastes differently must mean something.  So why are some things more appealing than others, especially "bad" things that have no nutritional value?  Why would these foods intice us to eat them, when food (as my husband would put it) is simply a means to our existance?

Just some food for thought.....

Chew on that......

puns intended :)

No comments:

Post a Comment